Sleep Disturbance and the link Between Hormones
Sleep Disturbance and the link Between Hormones
Sleep disturbance affects every facet of our existence. Many sleep-related problems can be overcome with testosterone therapy. Men with lower testosterone levels have lower sleep efficiency, with increased nocturnal awakenings and less slow-wave (REM) sleep. Studies have even shown that sleep disturbances caused by sleep apnea, a chronic breathing problem, may be linked to low testosterone levels.
In a 2011 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), ten men volunteered to have their testosterone levels checked during eight nights of Sleep Disturbance restriction. They were only allowed five hours of sleep per night. The study found their daytime testosterone levels decreased by 10 to 15 percent. The lowest testosterone levels were in the afternoon and evening. The study also found a progressive loss of energy over the course of the week.
Thus, there appears to be a direct correlation between testosterone levels and Sleep quantity and quality. Here at AAI Rejuvenation Clinic, we’re ready to help. Our services are discrete and confidential. Contact us today or fill out our medical history form. Our trained wellness team is eager to get you started on the path to a better night’s sleep.
There have been an array of medical studies pointing to the fact that Sleep Disturbance, or lack thereof, has a direct correlation to our energy levels, cognitive functions and even organ and cellular health. Most commonly, adults are expected to sleep around 9 hours a day in order to get the adequate amount necessary for optimal systemic function. Unfortunately, the great majority of people get far less sleep than is necessary and recommended. Moreover, the number of people that are getting poor quality of sleep is slowly but surely increasing, leaving us to walk around in a world full of sleep-deprived, moody zombies.
Let’s talk about scary numbers:
– 60% of adults are not getting enough sleep
– The average American is in bed 7.5 hours but only asleep about 6.1.
Recommended sleep requirements:
– Toddlers = 14 – 12 hours
– Children = 11 – 10 hours
– Adults = 9 – 7 hours
- Sleep just 6 hours a night and increase the chances of being overweight by 27% (about 14lbs a year).
- Sleep 6 hours a day and increase the possibility of heart disease by 48%.
- Sleep only 5 hours and increase this risk to 73%.
- Sleeping less than 5 hours a day reduces your hormonal production by 27% and interferes with other endocrine functions so complex, you cannot measure them by a simple % indication.
- Sleep only 4 hours a night and you will increase daily calorie intake by 22%.
- Reducing your average night sleep by 1.5 hours impairs alertness by 32%.
- If you only sleep 6 hours a night for 2 weeks straight your cognitive equivalence to blood alcohol level will be .10%.
- Driving while sleepy can be equally, if not more dangerous than driving while drunk.
- Driving while sleepy accounts for 20% of all annual car accidents.
- There is a gene that allows people to function well only 6 hours of sleep but, it only exists in 3% of the population.
Positive sleeping points:
- Sleeping more is not an option? Take a nap: a 20-minute nap increases cognitive function by 40%, enhancing concentration, alertness and motor skills.
- A 45-minute nap with REM sleep enhances creative thinking and boosts sensory processing.
- Naps over 45 or 90 minutes will leave you groggy and disoriented.
- Complete darkness stimulates melatonin – sleep hormone.
AAI Clinics can help you with Sleep Disturbance issues. If you find that you are not acquiring the adequate amount of sleep necessary to really promote your best potential and healthiest self, contact us for assistance. Despite the fact that well-balanced hormone levels significantly aid and promote restful quality of sleep, there are other nutraceuticals that we can provide needing patients with in order to promote real deep, quality sleep that isn’t induced by synthetic drug absorption.
Depending on your particular issues and life circumstances, you will want to click on the below medications to read the herbal facts and medicinal details of each of the below body-and-mind calming options to see which one of these, or combination of these, will best aid you in your quest for real quality sleep.
- Sereniten Plus
- Relora ®-Plex
- Seditol ® Plus
- Brain CALM
- Valerian Root Max-V
- Melatonin (3 mg)
- Controlled-Release Melatonin
**NOTE** The content contained in this blog is subject to interpretation and is the opinion of the content writer. We do not claim it to be fact. We encourage you to consult a medical doctor before taking any prescribed medications or supplements.